Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday Spirit


I'm just sitting here by the blazing fire, our Christmas tree brightly lit, cookies baking in the oven, with a hint of cinnamon wafting from the kitchen, listening to dorky, smarmy Christmas music. I'm alone for the moment and relishing it but am also looking forward to having all by boys home, about 2 hours from now. I am so into the holiday spirit this year. I'm singing along to the songs (as much as I can sing, mostly humming off key) and I've caught myself dancing through the rooms. It would be perfect if it was snowing. We have more guests coming tonight so have to make beds, make lasagna and salad, bake a few pies and finish the cookies. But for the time being, I'll be in this Christmas moment.


Our tree is hung with mostly vintage ornaments that I've collected over the years. My mom sent me boxes of them awhile back that she picked up at a yard sale. Score! I LOVE these delicate glass globes. My childhood Christmas tree was also festooned with these ornaments.


This is my kid's favorite ornament. It's a farm scene (we think it's our farm) with "Merry Christmas" stomped in the snow and a small airplane circling overhead pulling a banner that reads "Spirit of St. Nick" and a little boy (Forrest, or is it Garrett or Aramin?!) waving. I always hung it on the tree just below eye level so the smallest boy could see it, mesmerized by the plane circling around and around. Now it's above just 5' high so I can see it, since they are all nearly 6' tall.


Here's wishing you a warm, golden, glittery, sugary holiday. I hope you are surrounded by family and friends and hold warm memories from year's past. Merry Christmas!

No comments: