Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Little Getaway


I was able to spend a few days in Cumberland last week. The trees were really showing off and the weather was amazing. Those last (hopefully not though) days of warm fall weather drew me outdoors, to bike, hike and enjoy. I caught this photo of the train depot as we were walking downtown and the light was just incredible. It looks like a vintage postcard.


On Tuesday evening, the biking group I've joined has a ride going up the Allegany Trail. This is the trail that connects the C&O Canal Trail (from Georgetown) to the Great Allegany Trail to Pittsburg. We went out just an hour and a half, up a bit, then turning around and riding fast as it's downhill all the way home.


On Wednesday Seal, Macee, Piver and I went on a hike down Monroe Run, near New Germany State Park in western Maryland. This path follows the small creek, Monroe Run, which we crossed many times, hopping (and somethimes slipping) over rocks. One of my favorite things is to hike through dry leaves, listening to them crackle and crunch beneath my feet.


Thursday I loaded my mountain bike up and drove over to Rocky Gap to ride the trails around the lake. What a treat! There was some double track, and plenty of single track to keep me happy, some rock gardens (I'm out of practice....I had to walk my bike over some of them) and plenty of sunshine and color in the woods. Including two hunters I came upon. Oops! Didn't know it was hunting season. I said "It's good I'm wearing pink!" They said it should be orange. Oh well, close enough. I tried to not act like a deer and rode away fast.


I saw this large group of folks enjoying a picnic under this glorious maple.


Then back around to the other side of the lake. Can't wait to get back to these trails again!


After a quick lunch and some more rolling on a felt scarf I'm working on, Seal and I took off up the Allegany Trail. Through Brush Tunnel (where they now have lights!)....


....over golden covered hills....


....past beautiful farms







...and finishing up at the 'Narrows' right outside Cumberland. After last week's 5 days of downpour, it was great to be out nearly every minute of daylight, taking advantage of 'Indian Summer'.

No comments: