Sunday, October 27, 2013

Funny Farm Visit

On our way to Rhinebeck, Natalie and I had the pleasure of visiting my friends, Marie and Bob, at their  farm in the Poconos in Pennsylvania. 

But on the way, we had a little mishap. My trailer got a flat, but I was able to pull right off the highway and call for help. While we waited, we got out our stool and chair, knitting and snacks, and got down to knitting.

 It wasn't really so bad but lost about 2 hours of travel time.

 
When Steve arrived I told him he was our knight in shining armor. He said he forgot his shining armor so I said you must have a little cape then, because he really was our hero. I asked him where he got the tire, as it was an off size. He said he just took it off his old Corvette. Whatever works!

We got on our way again and arrived at Marie's before dark. The further north we got and the higher we climbed, the colors just got more magnificent. 

This is looking towards their barn with the big pond in the background.

the house from the back

The chickens had to check out the new tire.

Barn e Cat found the sun in the house and was happy to be indoors.

Marie and Bob have sheep, goats, peacocks, guinea hens, chickens, and sometimes cows and pigs.

The chickens and goats live together.

The peacocks keep an eye on everything from the rafters.

Marie made lots of hypertufa planters this summer.
These are the folks who weave their own curtains, table linens, hand towels and rugs. They make their own cheese, beer, wine, liquor, bread, jams, grow all kinds of veggies and even tobacco, roast their own coffee beans, and even tan hides. They truly work the land. I admire them for all they do.

I'm always enthralled with the chicken plucker, a big blue plastic barrel with rubber 'finger's. When the dead chicken is put in, it gets turned on and spins really fast and within a minute, all the feathers are off.  


After a nice chicken dinner, we got a good night's sleep in a down covered bed. This was the view from my bedroom window in the morning. Always a pleasure to visit my friends on the Funny Farm in autumn. 

No comments: