Thursday, May 22, 2014

Another Sheep & Wool Fest Done and Gone!

The day of set up dawned clear and sunny. I was up early and saw the first light highlighting Audrey's sheep next door. The apple tree was full of blossoms and I knew this was going to be a terrific weekend.

We unload my 80 crates packed to the brim (expertly by Anne) and started arranging them. I brought the most yarn ever.

Anne busted some moves on the table.

Anne and Bev in some heavy discussion about world events or my slubby yarn, not sure.

After 6 hours of arranging and rearranging crates, samples, baskets and stuff, we stepped back and admired our set up. I called it "The Amphitheater of Color"! A total surround of deep, rich colors for the senses.

Nuno felt scarf kits aplenty



The end of the day….notice the bottle of wine and glasses!~

As dusk set in, we hauled our tired butts home, ready for a good night's rest.

Another beautiful day. Cool weather, clear skies, and no wind make for perfect yarn selling weather. 

Anne donned her hand spun, hand knit skirt and the darling little cardi that Audrey finished at the last minute! I picked it up on my way to the fairgrounds. I had asked her the week before if she could knit something out of my new yarn, Shimmy, by the weekend and she of course took on the challenge. 

One of my customers carrying her 'bouquet' of colorful yarns. Look how nicely they coordinate with her outfit.


And a mom with her darling little girl holding up some slubby to see if it goes with that blond hair. Yep!

I brought my newly made felt vest as an example of what one can do with felting and this customer asked how much it was. Well, I hadn't thought of selling it as I hadn't even had a chance to wear it, but what the heck….I'll make another one.


She was thrilled and I was happy that she was happy.

This was a unique and clever way to carry bags of fleeces.

There was much hanging out, yarn bombing of trees, spinning, knitting and of course yarn talk.



Anne was part of the Sheep to Shawl contest where a shearer shears the sheep, a team of four cards the wool locks, three people spin the yarn and one person weaves. This team is called Harley's Angels because the sheep's name was Harley. 

Here is the finished scarf which won FIRST PLACE! Way to go Angels!

Here's part of my team…Claire, Anne and Natalie. Michele helped out on Saturday but since she was going to Australia for four months in a couple days, I thought she could use some time getting ready. And of course Bev helped set up on Friday. Without my Dancing Leaf Farm team, I couldn't do it.

All packed up, ready to say good bye to another successful Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival!

No comments: